Charmaine is a sex therapist, as well as a couple and family therapist who enjoys working with individuals, couples, and families of every type, configuration, ethnic, gender and sexual background. She uses a highly personalized approach tailored to each of her client’s individual needs that helps support their growth and personal development. Charmaine is friendly, empathetic, and open-minded, and her goal is to help clients develop coping and self-care skills to work towards rebuilding positive relationships with themselves, their family, and their significant others.
Her therapy orientation is a custom blend of different therapy modalities to create an integrative approach – including Attachment Theory, Cognitive Behavioral (CBT), Emotionally Focused, Narrative, Solution Focused, Mindfulness and Trauma and Humanistic therapies. She begins with a systemic Intersystems assessment, which looks at the individual and their interpersonal “systems” of families and relationships in the past and present. Individuals learn behaviors from their family, which affects currents relationships, and also considers biological and cultural factors that may have also influenced them. From there, she collaborates with the client to create a treatment plan tailored specifically to the presenting problem including short term and long term goals.
Her areas of focus include:
- Sex Therapy – including Sexual Trauma/Abuse, Sex Addiction, LGBTQ and Polyamory
- Relationship Issues – including Communication, Intimacy, Conflict Resolution, Infertility and Family Conflict
- Child or Adolescent – including Academics, Family transitions, Play Therapy and Peer Relationships
- Mood – including Anxiety, Depression, Coping Skills, Self Esteem, Trauma and PTSD
- Life Transitions – including Career Counseling, Divorce, Marriage Counseling and Grief
- Addictions – including Alcohol, Drug, Sex and Food
- Holistic – including Spirituality, Meditation and Mind-Body awareness
- Men’s and Women’s Issues – including Sexuality, Gender roles and Interpersonal Relationships
She has training in sex therapy, and experience with issues of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse in both couples and individual therapy. Charmaine has a special interest in working with sexual and other minorities, people of mixed race, gender or orientation, those who identify as polyamorous, kinky, and alternative.